Marriage & Family Mediation Center -
RSS

Recent Posts

Contemplating Divorce
What is Marriage Mediation?

Categories

Contemplating Divorce
Mediation to Stay Married
powered by

My Blog

Contemplating Divorce

The following is an excerpt from an article on  mediate.com - a resource for mediators and anyone wanting information about mediation...

For anyone contemplating divorce....

"Now what?
IF YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WANTS OUT . . .
Be fair. Be honest. Come clean. Accept the consequences of your decision – all of the consequences. Stop trying to have one foot in each of two doors. Either stay put, or walk through the other door. Deal with it. Some amount of “yes, no, maybe, I don’t know” is to be expected, but at some point you must make a decision to either leave or to stay.

You may want to end the marriage, but don’t really want to hurt your spouse. You may believe that you are somehow hurting your spouse less by breaking it to him or her gradually over time. So you may think it better to talk of “wanting to separate” because you “need some space,” instead of using the “D” for “Divorce” word.

However, if you tell your spouse that you are thinking of divorce, and don’t clearly and definitely say that you want a D-I-V-O-R-C-E, you are in effect telling your spouse that there is a one in a million chance you could reconcile. If you tell your spouse, who doesn’t want the marriage to end, that there is a one in a million chance that the marriage won’t end, what do you think your spouse is hearing? He or she is hearing you say, “There is a . . . chance the marriage won’t end.” People enthusiastically buy lottery tickets with lower chances of winning than that.

You will have to face the fact that you WILL hurt your spouse by saying that you want out, and you must then clearly tell him or her that the marriage is over. If you instead tell your spouse that you don’t want a divorce, but that you only “need some time to sort things out,” you are quite possibly being selfish and unfair to your spouse. You will paralyze your spouse, holding him or her back from accepting the end of the marriage, and from making his or her own plan for the future.

You may believe your spouse would be so angry if you say you truly want a D-I-V-O-R-C-E, that he or she would make your life even more difficult, or would hurt the children just to hurt you. Some angry people feel justified in trying to hurt back the people who cause them pain.

Anger is not created in a vacuum. Some choose, either consciously or subconsciously, not to feel pain, fear, shame or frustration. They will instead mask those feelings, and then turn them into anger. Many angry people are angry because they have been hurt, and still carry around unresolved pain inflicted upon them in the past, or in childhood, which pain was never faced or addressed.

If your spouse is an angry person, and you will be causing him or her even more pain by leaving the marriage, prolonging the process may just prolong the conflict. So get it over with. If your spouse is not a danger to you, you may create pain to your spouse (and therefore anger directed at you) for a shorter period of time, by being honest early on about wanting to end the marriage. If, however, your spouse is a violent person, you will need a plan, and will need help in letting your spouse know the marriage is over, in order to stay safe.

Perhaps you want out, but only if everything can work out for you. You may want to know the light is still on for you at home with your spouse if you lose your job, or if the new love interest doesn’t marry you after all. If you have a financially comfortable married life, and are afraid you won’t have a fallback if you are divorced and then lose your job, welcome to the real world. There are no guarantees in life. Again, it isn’t fair to everyone to make them put their lives on hold and to be hurt by you, while you see if you can make a go of it on your own. Either stay or leave.

IF YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS BEING LEFT...
You will probably journey back and forth through the following stages as part of the normal process:

STAGE 1 – DENIAL / AVOIDANCE
If I bury my head in the sand, the problem will go away. I’m used to this. It’ll blow over like it always does. I have no options anyway, and can’t afford to leave. This is just my lot in life. My happiness isn’t meant to be.

My family would disapprove of a divorce. There is a social stigma to divorce. My family’s honor is at stake both here and in our home country. If I get a divorce, everyone will say that I could not make my marriage work. If I get a divorce I am a failure. Divorce is against my religious beliefs. My suffering is my cross to bear.

My spouse doesn’t really mean it, and would never actually leave me. My spouse will change. I will change. It’s springtime now, and I’m feeling better. It’s not always that bad. Maybe things will improve. I’ll stay a bit longer for the sake of the children. I don’t want to ruin the holidays.
My spouse would never cheat on me. It’ll all work out. I’ll keep pretending nothing’s wrong until I convince myself that I’m not dying just a little more every day.

Then, once you can no longer look reality right in the face and continue to deny it, you will move to...

STAGE 2 – BARGAINING
Maybe we can both find happiness, if only ...
If only the drinking would stop, or if my spouse would get on or stay on his or her medication. If we could just go to counseling together, or to AA, we could work out all of our problems. If we could get the finances under control, things would be better. If only we could move away from the paramour, or if there were a job change, our worries would end. If only we had more time together, and my spouse paid more attention to me and to the kids, we’d all be happier. Or if a better or higher paying job would come along. Or if the in-laws would stop interfering. All of our problems could be fixed if only ... if only ...

The magical wishful thinking is not solving anything. You are simply trying to rearrange the furniture on the deck of a sinking ship. You are now heading right into ...

STAGE 3 – GRIEF/ FEAR/ SHOCK/ CONFUSION/ TURMOIL
It’s getting harder to live this way. There are more bad days than good. The children are really suffering. They are acting out, their grades are falling and they’re learning all the wrong things from this dysfunctional marriage. The tension at home is so thick no one can breathe. Everyone is walking on eggshells. I don’t know who I really am anymore.

Why did this have to happen? Life is not fair. Why me? What will I do? How can I afford to live if there is a divorce? How will the children deal with a divorce? I could not possibly move out of this house. I cannot support myself and the children on my own. I cannot earn enough money. I do not want to work fulltime. My relationship with the children will be damaged. I cannot stop crying. What should I do?

Now, the whole prospect of separation and divorce makes you feel ...

STAGE 4 – ANGER
I am angry with my spouse. I am mad at myself. I hate the paramour. I’m angry that this is happening to my life. All of my dreams are in ruins. I want my spouse to hurt as much as I am hurting. I want to make him or her pay. I’m going to make his or her “new life” miserable. I’m going to call up his or her paramour’s spouse. I’m also going to tell his or her paramour what my spouse is really like. And his or her coworkers. And his or her family. And all of the friends we shared. Everyone needs to know that this is all his or her fault, that I am a victim, and just how much I and the children are suffering, all because of my spouse.

He or she is wrong and I am right. He or she is trying to control me, and I will not be controlled. I am going to get what I am entitled to. I want my day in court, to let everyone know I have been wronged. My spouse needs to be punished. I will get even, plus one.

After awhile a calmness should begin to settle in. If this does not occur naturally, professional help, and possibly short-term medication for situational depression may be necessary, to get to ...

STAGE 5 – ACCEPTANCE
This marriage is over. I have been holding on to an image of what my spouse used to be, could have been, or should be, but not what he or she is in reality. On a day-to-day basis my spouse creates more pain in my life than joy, and truly does not care how much I am hurting. I have to accept that life doesn’t always turn out as planned, and is not always fair. Bad things can happen. I can not live this way anymore. I have to take care of myself. I have to be strong for the children, and I have to take care of them. My spouse saw a lawyer, is actually going to stand up to me for the first time, and isn’t backing down. My spouse is no longer paying bills, and I need to do something now.

You have now come full circle – right back to “What should I do, where do I start?”

So ... now what?

Get informed.

Make a plan.

Get your thoughts sorted out. Implement your plan.

Get your life back".

Resource...
Rachel L. Virk has been practicing law since 1989, litigating, negotiating, collaborating, and mediating divorce cases throughout Northern Virginia. She is Certified as a Mediator by the Virginia Supreme Court at the Circuit Court Family level, and is a trained collaborative law practitioner. President of Rachel L. Virk, P.C., Rachel is a member of several local, state, national and international associations addressing divorce dispute resolution.StartFragment

Rachel is the author of The Four Ways of Divorce – A Concise Guide to What You Need to Know About Divorce Using Litigation, Negotiation, Collaboration and Mediation, So You Don’t Pay More Than You Should, published in 2009. Her writings and commentary have appeared in various state and national publications.

36 Comments to Contemplating Divorce:

Comments RSS
adultery nc on Friday, May 02, 2014 2:46 PM
When its happened, does not acceptable to the kids to hear a news related to divorce. but eventually they have to suffer a lot. It would better if they can hear it from their parents rather from any other one. they might think that they are not alone and parents are withe them at all the time. Might little irrelevant but very important that i wish to share.

win 8 product key on Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:15 AM
genuine windows 7 oem product key , buy windows 7 key , microsoft home and student 2010 wholesale , windows small business server 2011 standard key product , visual studio 2012 genuine key , 4R=MJEh>

Playground Safety Mats on Monday, May 04, 2015 11:43 PM
Play ground Safety mats is definitely an ideal choice you can use under any kind of playground gear for kids safety. For example the mat may be used under dual swing, in the base associated with slides or even underneath seesaw, areas exactly where children are likely going in order to fall.

Miller Law Associates on Monday, May 05, 2014 3:11 AM
These are great points and mediator plays a very vital role in saving a family from being separated.

www.niketrainingshoes.com on Thursday, May 08, 2014 2:27 AM
These activities are kept separate from the main ski areas. You may feel concerned when visitors drop by your home or office and see clutter or things out of place. For example, if you sold a course on guitar playing then you might want your site to score near the top of the results when someone searched for "learn to play guitar.

montre replique on Sunday, May 25, 2014 9:54 PM
Positive Signs fo Stong Hoiday Shopping SeasonHoiday saes typicay peak sometime in Decembe. Pour EDéplacez taches Togh o lourd Tanish, spinke bicarbonate de soude sur une fesh emon SICE et b, il ACOSS le ike objet dune éponge. En evanche, si t es vaiment faci, t pex tente e 6 T o e 9 T dont e pix est teement indécent qe même pas is e mettent dans 'annonce (à ie avec 'accent d Sentie).

rayban vistshopcom on Thursday, June 05, 2014 5:24 AM
Magnificent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. I really like what you've acquired here, really like what you're saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

replique montre gucci on Sunday, June 08, 2014 11:09 PM
Karabatic mis hors replique montre Apr鑣 Samuel Honrubia et Primoz Prost, les magistrats charg閟 de l'instruction de l'affaire des soup鏾ns de match truqu?ont aussi mis en examen pour escroquerie les fr鑢e Nikola et Luka Karabatic, et le Serbe Mladen Bojinovic. The Generation Games are a sporting event for, with and by generations. des Lias, e P?Saint-Gevais; 1499. If the whoe mindf-eating thing seems a itte tedios to yo, Kistee sggests compaing it to the diffeence between attending a high-qaity wine tasting and chgging as mch wine as possibe to get dnk. Le signal d'alarme a 閠?tir?la semaine derni鑢e.

Miami Divorce on Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:19 AM
Good share on contemplating divorce techniques and implementations.

Law Offices of Joseph P. Downs on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 11:34 AM
The decision to end a relationship can be traumatic, chaotic, and filled with contradictory emotions. There are also specific feelings, attitudes, and dynamics associated with whether one is in the role of the initiator or the receiver of the decision to breakup.

swiss fake watches on Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:46 PM
There is a shortage of green data center swiss fake watches in the region which creates a great potential for growth, Fabio Banducci, president and CEO of PEER 1 Hosting said in a statement. Among the Apple devices involved in the case were the iPhone 3G and 3GS. Louis VuittonDesigne bags ae a teased fashion accessoy fo a woman and make the best possibe gifts The vaiety is jst geat! " That's the cry my neighbors had to endure for about three hours last Wednesday. Gucci watches are known for their superiority in design, incomparable precision and the innovative, yet classy design.

www.nicefakewatches.com on Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:46 PM
Sugar VolDid you know fairies make the clouds? The more extreme thirst for revenge represents a hawkish stance. He would then mutilate and cut off pieces to be eaten later. For Raksha Bandhan, Vouchersmate has also launched it's services for Worldwide shipping of Rakhi and Rakhi Greeting Cards. ) que pude encontrar para acelerar o crescimento de mamas;2.

steinhart uhren kaufen on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:53 AM
Und last but not least haben wir mit Bayer 04 Leverkusen einen Partner gefunden, der mit seiner sportlichen Positionierung unserem Leistungsanspruch in besonderem Ma gerecht wird"Opel - Pionier des internationalen Sport-SponsoringsF Opel stellen die Partnerschaften mit den Fu ein Comeback als Sponsor im deutschen Sport dar. Durch frühzeitiges Hochschalten, Verwendung von Leichtlaufreifen oder Verzicht auf den unbenutzten Gep?cktr?ger kann Sprit gespart und der Schadstoffaussto? somit verringert w www.steinhartuhren.de n. September 1995 in Pforzheim, wohnt bei seinen Eltern in Rastatt. Ich hoffe man kann noch folgen. Ich w?re nur gern gefragt worden.

gifts for kids on Sunday, June 29, 2014 3:04 AM
You will need to face the way that you WILL harm your companion by saying that you need out, and you should then obviously let him know or her that the marriage is over. I

Best Wedding Photographer in Jaipur, on Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:27 AM
This is impressive and also great information.

Check this site out on Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:04 PM
Ein tatsaechlicher Einkommen geben liefern Sie mit weitere nutzen in der Online Wetten. Genau dort, wo ein Online-Sportwetten ist Rechts und genau, was der Regeln Policen sind, wie sie arbeiten work variieren von Land zu Land, weil potente Unternehmen haeufig haben ein sehr mehr Einfluss ueber die abgespeckte internationale Standorte , speziell in 3. planet .

Verstandnis Football Quote on Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:17 AM
Und die Neben der Sportwetten -oeffentlichkeiten Wahrnehmung gewoehnlich falsch . Eigentlich , Net Sicherheit sind a massiven Element a etwa $ 200 field das ist schon aenderung der Umfang waehrend des Spielens ganzen die komplette Welt aufgrund der Tatsache entstanden.

profile on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:29 PM
It should, nevertheless locate a devote one of the clothing collection, mirror in addition to couch, which you could quickly garment shoes then you don'tneed in particular to keep up.

proofreading on Saturday, October 18, 2014 1:56 PM
Every couple get marriage for together forever. They don't want stay separate. The blog owner only think about divorce. He think the 4 steps of divorce.

telicando marafecco on Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:24 PM
Wetten Im Gegensatz zu das Streak Sie Vermutung 100 $ gegen Unerfahrene Bay Belag in Woche elf. Die besten Internet -Sportwetten ist die a konstante Online -Sportwetten, hat enthaelt a fest Geld wirtschaftlichen Rueckhalt so Auszahlungen werden schnell schnell und Safe , und hat ueber regelmaessig Verbraucher Support fuer seine oder ihre tausende von viele begeisterte Spieler.

réplicas de relojes on Monday, November 17, 2014 4:10 PM
Und die Zusammen mit dem Sportwetten -oeffentlichkeiten Wahrnehmung gemeinhin falsch .Aber, wenn die bei den traegt auf , sicher nach Rueckkehr aus mindestens $ 90 vorher und jeden 7 Tage traegt auf , Fuegen a different in Ihre auf Ihre Gewinne.

réplicas de relojes on Saturday, November 29, 2014 12:00 PM
Bodog ist ist wirklich a Sportwetten und Casino in eine einzige, Streben zu treffen erfuellen alle Ihre Online-Gaming- Forderungen ueber a single nur ein Veranstaltungsort . réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

strona internetowa on Sunday, December 07, 2014 9:54 AM
They gives in the laminated screens time because of our own baby facilitate ergonomic desk the baby jar

check cashing on Monday, August 03, 2015 2:52 AM
To judge the best technique, make strides toward the payday induces alliance that is pushing a lower APR. Regularly, most payday change affiliations give a cost breakdown each 100-dollar augments that match with the rate.

Car Title Loans on Sunday, August 09, 2015 10:52 AM
What would it be advisable for me to know before purchasing a home? Here are a few tips that could spare you a great deal of time, cash and inconvenience. Arrangement ahead. Set up great acknowledge and recovery as much as you can for the initial installment and shutting expenses. Get pre-endorsed online before you begin looking. Not just do land specialists lean toward working with pre-qualified purchasers; you will have additionally arranging force and an edge over homebuyers who are not pre-affirmed.

Check Cashing San-diego on Sunday, August 16, 2015 7:02 AM
This can be caught through a FICO yearly affiliation, bank, or changed satisfied acknowledgment suppliers. These FICO assessments/scores are to be normal to the crediting affiliation. This appraisement close-by your ages to ages pay gives the settlement master a request that you are fit for gainful the banknote back.

ukr on Thursday, August 20, 2015 11:39 AM
Thank you for the read. Honestly you covered the topic and broadly examined all areas. If i was to write this i would have done a few things differently myself but you have definitely inspired me to get into the world of blogging. Thanks heaps for the post i really appreciate it. Have a good day and keep blogging

ukrain on Thursday, August 20, 2015 11:40 AM
Wow,awriter.org I'm a lefty too and i dont know if all that it true but still WOW! i never knew all those pplawriter.org wer leftys cuz i aint american so yea. but still, nice work n u shudna put the jealousy part.... just sayin......awriter.org

check cashing san-diego on Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:08 PM
As you are isolating for a vehicle title advance connection, its isolating to break down the association's reputation and assert that they have a notoriety for helping clients like you. Persistently dismantle no under 3 unmistakable moneylenders offering vehicle title credits and by all systems ask for a copy of their headway papers to review before you go into any credit contract and read them intentionally.

car title loans on Monday, October 05, 2015 5:37 AM
Change access to base administrators age credits is to satisfy a plenteous in advance line bit, which a passage to complete the early included secured for the settlement powers. Thusly, to change your slippery sparing cash back to back registry over again parcels and defaults, an above in advance line domain will comprehension reduction of rates, included than smoother backing.

Chyou Ting on Friday, November 06, 2015 7:22 PM
Definitely it has a good content

car title loans chicago on Monday, December 07, 2015 3:40 AM
In light of current circumstances, on the zone that for the time compass of the day the coffer will be dearer than the dealer. Plenteous of the time you will be furnished with a money personal by a coffer stars task that brains with a greatest of 10 to 20 bike applications constantly.

Bennett on Friday, May 13, 2016 12:12 AM
I cant figure out what to if anything, needs to be changed, is linkbuilding still working? Contemplating Divorce - The latest addition to my RSS feed

Best Financial Advisors in Washington DC on Saturday, May 28, 2016 1:51 AM
AI would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me.

essay-reviewer.com on Sunday, June 04, 2017 2:11 PM
As nice blog,but you could have made this blog more cool if you could configure the language changer pluigin but all the same you have done a good job

John Niemann on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:08 AM
Thanks for sharing the story